Sunday, December 5, 2010

I'll Be Home for Christmas

The question is, where is that home?

As a child, life was blissfully black and white. Right was right and wrong was wrong. Gray was merely an unused crayon in the Crayola box. Home was not a state of mind, it was an actual place. The place (at least in my case) that was full of laughter and fun, petty fighting, delicious food, and most importantly loving, nurturing parents. Home was the place where I came to everyday. Where my mom listened to all of my problems and my sister was my constant companion, my best bud. My brothers were my protectors and my dad was my hero. Home was my house, filled with my family.

Unfortunately, it is no longer this way...I succumbed to adulthood somewhere along the way. Now, many years and many moves later, home is a much more intangible concept, a feeling as opposed to an address. I am not trying to say I'm homeless, just that my family and I have scattered across the country, and now, as many have said before me, home is where my heart is.


Like a multitude of other things in adulthood, home is a gray concept, not a particular location. Something to experience and appreciate fully, because it is much more fleeting.

I am getting married in July (woohoo!!) and about to embark on one of the greatest adventures in life--marriage. I will be creating my own home, and starting my own family, very tangibly. We will be melding our two homes together to create one, and I am very excited for this new chapter in life.

I can imagine our home will be full of laughter and fun, petty fighting, and lots of love, much like the homes we both grew up in....we are blessed to have those memories and examples to build our life upon.

All this said, I will be home for Christmas. In a very real way. Not to the house I grew up in, but to the people who know and love me best. And really, what is home if not the acceptance, love and warm embraces of dear family and friends.

I'll be home, home indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment