Monday, August 1, 2011

A life Well Lived

I find myself wondering on many a Monday morning what the point of it all is. Going to work, day after day, week after week and month after month begins to feel monotonous and purposeless. Does the little bit I contribute to my company make a difference? Do I have an impact on anyone or anything in my position?

Somedays I really don't know.

But, while Brian and I were in Kansas with my family this last weekend, we went to the church that I grew up in and it just so happened to be Pastor Andrus' last Sunday behind the pulpit. After four decades of preaching in this church, and many others, he was finally retiring and passing the torch.

His message was on legacy and transition, and, as always, it was very challenging and applicable. But the moment I will never forget was the benediction. An associate pastor came up to give him some accolades and to end the service in prayer. As he finished, the entire congregation rose for a standing ovation. And it continued. For probably five solid minutes this man was honored by the applause of his congregation. The people he had dedicated his life to serve. The people he had spent long, hard nights with. Cried with, rejoiced with, grieved with and prayed with. He had poured his life in to these people, and they were, in some small way, thanking him for his time, energy, prayer, and wise words on their behalf.

It was moving to witness such a life well lived.

Now, I know not everyone's retirement is such a public event, witnessed by thousands, but I really do believe that everyone has the opportunity to impact the lives of people around them. I have no desire or ambitions to become a pastor, but I do believe that I can serve the people around me, right where I am at. When I come to retirement, there will not be thousands to witness my last day, there will be no standing ovation, nor accolades recited. But, will there be people out there to say that I helped them in some small way? I made their life, or even just their day, better? I did everything I could to put my time and energy in to their lives, that I loved and believed in them? I truly hope so.

Whether I am an assistant, manager, CEO or a stay at home mom. Wherever I am, whatever I do, I hope that I serve others, love them, and help them to the best of my ability.

I hope I have a life well lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment