Friday, August 19, 2011

With Perseverance

LET US run with PERSEVERANCE
the race that is set before US
                                                         Hebrews 12:1

Running is an integral part of my life. So imbedded, in fact, that if a stranger were to ask me who I am, it would probably be in the top five facts I give to him about myself. I am a runner.
As I start training for my first half marathon (what was I thinking signing up for this?!?), I have been thinking a lot about commitment and perseverance. Running takes both. Every morning when my alarm goes off I need to re-commit myself to my goal, and every run-about halfway through—I need to tell myself to persevere. I love to run.
I enjoy the clarity I feel while running and the ability it gives me to push harder, go further. I relish in it as one of the few moments each day that is completely for me. I like the energy boost it brings and the great feeling of accomplishment I get after I am done. But I think what I like most about running is its applicability with many different facets in my life.
Now, as I am about to transition, yet again, I feel this is a very relevant challenge for me to take on. To persevere. To finish strong the race that is set before me. I have to motivate myself, much like when I go for a run, to honor my commitment, to persevere until the end. As I leave this job, and begin another, I want to leave knowing that I did the best job I could, I gave it my all until the end.

I can't always determine my circumstances, I can't necessarily control the situations I find myself in, but I can control how I react. I can persevere through the hard times and learn so much from them while in the midst of them.

So, like finishing a run with that last burst of energy and drive, I will finish this race. I will do my best, and I will persevere.

No comments:

Post a Comment