Monday, August 29, 2011

Snail Mail

I enjoy nothing more than at the end of a long day, coming home, checking my mailbox (the ACTUAL one..not my GMail inbox) and receiving a little note from someone I love.


I can't explain why this simple joy never ceases to make my day except to say that it is a thoughtful gesture that was only extended in order to show that this person cares.




In a world that is focused on efficiency, speed, and technology, snail mail has become all but extinct.


This, to me, is unfortunate considering how much a hand-written note can mean to someone. It is a lost art...but one that I greatly enjoy. I am most likely the only bride that has ever truly enjoyed writing her hundreds of thank you notes. I enjoyed it so much so that I have decided to continue writing notes and have set the goal of writing one note per week to someone I love and care about...for no other reason than to tell them just that.


Snail Mail may not make the cut when considering factors such as time and ease. But every once in a while, what is so wrong with taking the extra time to hunt down that ellusive address, picking up a stamp, and penning a note.


Life is a constant race to keep up. To keep up with the changing technology, the tumultous economy, the trends of fashion, music, and your next door neighbor. But maybe sometimes it would be better to slow down, to stop racing, and to stop trying to keep up.


Maybe that little note that I take fifteen minutes out of my day of racing around is forgotten after I drop it in the mailbox, or maybe it makes someone else's day...and that, to me, makes it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment