Monday, November 22, 2010

College. Football.

Its love.

Fall days spent cheering for a sport that hundreds of thousands of Americans intensely follow, year after year. It does not matter if I am in the stadium with thousands of other people or at home on my couch by myself. There is something enrapturing about this sport to me. My earliest memories are of Monday Night Football with my dad and brothers. My best memories are tailgating at K-State games, boulevarding at SMU, singing the Texas Fight Song at the top of my lungs with my sister by my side, or watching a tremendous Michigan State comeback with my fiance.

I love sitting in a stadium shoulder to shoulder with complete strangers and knowing the only bond we share are the colors we wear, and the pride we hold in our hearts.

Their is something so pure about college football. Don't misunderstand, I love the NFL (GO PATS!), but in college, its not about money, its not about sponsorships as much as it is about the love of the game. They are out their to win for winnings sake. For their alma mater. For their colors. For their friends and girlfriends and parents.

College football unites old men who are crippled by a lifetime of hard work with young, ambitious men who are rearing to go at all the possibilities ahead.

No matter the political climate of the country, the economic state, or the unemployment statistics. For three hours on Saturday, there is only one thing that matters. The scoreboard.
It is a simple reality. A coping mechanism for those who are suffering under the weight of this wary world. It brings people together and creates a sense of identity. Even if only for a while.

College football is not magical, it just renews hope.
No matter what happened on the field last week, there is always this week to remedy it.
It brings back the vitality of youth.
These young boys get knocked down, over and over again....yet they continually pick themselves up.

Being a college football is simply, and utterly fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment