Thursday, January 6, 2011

My days of Auld Lang Syne

I was reading the Wall Street Journal the other day, New Year's Day actually, and this article came up about old acquaintances being forgotten (as sung in this New Year's Anthem). 


http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703909904576052011797066654.html?KEYWORDS=auld+lang+syne


The article struck me for several reasons.


First, I thought, not in my case, because I just moved back to Dallas to where almost all of my dearest friends live....how could I forget them now?


My second thought was, life is constantly changing and moving forward, sometimes despite our wishes, and though I'm "home", home is not the same as when I left it.


Third, I considered all that I was leaving behind in the North...two amazing in-laws-to-be, newly found friends in Michigan and Ohio, two great bosses, and a great job.


Lastly, and as the article so astutely pointed out, it is nearly impossible to forget or lose touch in this day in age as Facebook, email, cell phones, and many other avenues or purposed to prevent just that scenario.


The question posed in this beautiful, albeit wistful anthem, is simple yet heartfelt:
Should those we knew and loved be forgotten and never thought of? Should old times past be forgotten? No, says the song, they shouldn't be. We'll remember those times and those people, we'll toast them now and always, we'll keep them close. "We'll take a cup of kindness yet."


In my case, in a new year, new home, old city with old friends, I'm "taking my cup of kindness", I'm pursuing these relationships, near and far, with genuine care and love, and I'm remembering the good times while looking forward to many more great ones to come.


Happy New Year to all of my family and friends!!


xoxo from Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment