Sunday, January 23, 2011

Peter Pan Syndrome

I remember countless mornings throughout my childhood peeking up over the counter as my mom put on her makeup, begging her to put a dab of lipstick or blush on me.

I remember waving my brothers off to their first days of middle school, high school or college, wishing I was going too.

I remember endless arguments with my parents over curfew, just wishing I could decide my own.

I would always wish away those moments, days and years, thinking to myself that being an adult would be so much easier. I would only have to answer to myself, and I could do whatever I wanted.

Oh, how wrong I was!

I'm all grown up now, and life is just as hard and, in some respects, I have less decision-making power.

I have restrictions because of money and time, and every decision I make is followed by a hundred others based on that one. Life has only grown more complex and even though I do wear make up now (much to the dismay of my fiance), have graduated from middle school, high school, and college (wow! I'm old), and decide my own curfew (10pm most nights, thank you very much!), I find myself wishing back my childhood.

Simplicity has its advantages, and ignorance enables a blissful existence. I have enjoyed a life full of both of these, yet both of them are, year by year, falling away.
I am thankful for every new adventure life brings, but have learned not to wish away the stage I am in. I can never gain it back.

Peter Pan seemed to have the right idea, and I think I'll stick with him, and never grow up!

No comments:

Post a Comment