Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Enjoy the Ride

I HATE turbulence on a plane. I hate that feeling of terror when the plane bumps and pops in the air and I grip the seat hoping that it does not plummet to the ground. Irrational fear? Absolutely. Inconsolable? Almost always.


This is the dichotomy of my life. I love to travel, but hate to fly. There is no where I wouldn't go AT LEAST once (and yes, Mike, that includes Vietnam after your raves about it), and there is no country or continent I wouldn't want to visit...with the exception of Antarctica...unless I had a big coat.


But how I am supposed to get anywhere with my paralyzing fear? Brian and I flew to Michigan this weekend for a great time with his parents, family and friends, but getting there and back was another story. I didn't use to fear flying as I do now, and have begun to recognize it as a fear of not being in control. Someone else has control over my fate for those captive hours while we are en route and I have started to think of all the worst possibilities. Which is a bold thought process for reasons twofold. First, who am I to deem who is and who is not capable of flying me safely from DFW to DTW? Secondly, what kind of life is it to have to be in control of every little aspect? Every minute detail? To not trust anyone else with your well-being, ever.


Now, I realize my safety is not a minute detail, but I also realize that this trained, experienced professional, is thinking about my safety the entire time; from take off to touch down. I need to let it go. I refuse to have this nonsensical apprehension take away my ability to do what I love and go to new, exciting places.  I need to learn to enjoy the ride, both figuratively and literally. I can not control everything, and that should be viewed as a blessing not a curse. With the unknown, comes wonderful surprises, unexpected experiences, and unforgettable memories.


There will always be something, a fear or trepidation to replace this one, but to let it immobilize me is to let it take charge. I do not want my life defined by what I was afraid of, but rather what I faced and the fears I overcame. And considering the amount of traveling I have on my bucket list, I have a lot of time to overcome my fear of flying.


Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment