Friday, May 6, 2011

Til Whatever Do Us Part

A while ago I read an article in Vogue or Elle or some such magazine (not exactly Gospel, but hey, it’s good J), but  the article was really relevant. It was called “Til Whatever do Us Part” and it was written by a woman who was exceptionally dedicated to making her marriage work.

The article talks about the vows she and her husband made on their wedding day, and how they truly meant them. They weren’t just words; they were an unbreakable promise between two people. She talks about how over the years they have fought, they’ve been through very hard times, and they have celebrated many, many things. And through it all, good times and bad, they had one another.

She closes with this thought that I will most likely remember forever. At the end of her life, she will look at her husband and know that he was a witness to her life; her struggles, her victories, her flaws and her attributes. He was there to walk life with her, and he knew her better than anyone else.

Yes, they had their romance; yes, they had their fights. But they were always partners, best friends, and companions.

I am reminded of this article today, as Brian has so eloquently told me that our marriage will be hard; we will struggle and we will fight. But it will be worth it. All great things in life are. And, when I am old and gray, and he is still sitting beside me holding my hand, I will be able to look at him and know that he knows me…even better than I know myself. That he has been there through it all, and never left my side. He has witnessed my life, and been a party to every important occasion, and I, his.

I am so excited for this crazy little thing called life to experience together!

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet Becca and what a great thought. I love that phrase - a witness to your life. So true!

    ReplyDelete