Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Romance Defined.

A wise person once said: "not all romances have to be 'romantic'. They can be passionate, secret, dark, twisted, fun, fast…or dare we even say it, unrequited. But that doesn't make them any less real."

Romance, in the traditional sense, is comprised of candlelit dinners, bouquets of red roses, and hours spent gazing in to one another's eyes. Whispered sweet nothings, promises made, and hands being held. The list goes on, as do the chick-flicks that are largely responsible for this perception of romance. 

Do not misunderstand, all of those instances are lovely times that I very much enjoy, and a wonderful part of all that is romance...but it certainly does not  replace the romance I experience every day.

This kind of romance is made up of moments I share with my husband. Dreaming about our future over a glass of wine at dinner. Sharing a laugh about something our ever-entertaining FrogDog has done. Going on an adventure and trying something for the first time just because I know he'll catch me when I fall. Catching each others' eyes when we are out with friends and knowing exactly what the other one is thinking. These are real moments. They do not take the planning and preparation of a "romantic evening". They are spontaneous, genuine, and simple.

What I have come to realize is that flowers fade and candles burn out, but a romance that is built on love and commitment is what really lasts. That is why romance, in my opinion, is an aggregation of those beautifully planned evenings, and those irresistibly spontaneous moments. I wouldn't give up either, but most of all, I would never give up the man I share it all with.

No comments:

Post a Comment