Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Small World After All

It was a day like any other, no one would ever have suspected such a record-breaking quake, followed by a devastating tsunami, followed by fear of a nuclear crisis emerging in Japan.


The nation, and its people, are writhing in pain. They are fearful of what may happen, and haunted by what just did. I ache for them, but never did I think I would be personally affected by the same earthquake that shook their homes, and their lives. I was just reading an article in Scientific American  that gave some facts about the earthquake and tsunami. As I read down, I found out that, because of the epic proportion of the earthquake and the amount that the earth moved, the 24-hour day is now 1.8 microseconds shorter!!!


My day, here in Dallas, Texas, is shorter because of this earthquake. That is crazy to me. And, by no means is it of any consequence compared to the suffering and hurt an entire country is experiencing, but it made me pause. Just because my life remains relatively untouched inspite of what is transpiring half a world away, does not mean I should not be actively involved in any way I can to help. They need food, water, homes, and comfort.


I may not have the freedom to hop the next flight to Japan, but I can certainly pray for the people of Japan, and maybe donate to relief funds. After all, in this world that is shrinking by the day, they are my neighbors, and I'd like to think they would do the same for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment