Thursday, March 24, 2011

Tutorial Tuesdays

I am embarking on two new adventures. Every Tuesday evening after work, I have started going to a guitar lesson from a man who is more Jimmy-Bob than Jimi Hendrix, but I love every minute. I love learning this instrument and the nuances of each of the chords.  I am excited to practice, to see marked improvement, and to be able to play easily without thinking about every chord change. As I start to hear sounds that almost resemble songs from my guitar, I get more excited to continue to improve. Playing this instrument and music in general, is a form of art that I have always loved and appreciated. It’s soothing, it’s relevant, and it’s a way I’ve always enjoyed expressing myself. After this short but sweet lesson, I head to my next one- a cooking lesson! With the help of my sweet friend, Alessandra (follow here: http://theorangelens.blogspot.com/), I am learning the in’s and out’s of the kitchen and some go-to recipes that are delicious and doable!

I know how to cook, but only the basics, and am inevitably uninspired after a long day at work to step in to the kitchen and go back to work.  But with an experienced chef by my side (who also happens to be a friend to laugh with throughout the process), I anticipate many nights full of food, fun, and (hopefully) few fires to put out. Oh yes, we have been known to start minor kitchen fires before!
Last night, we tested the waters with a Greek Lasagna, known as Pastitsio, which was phenomenal! See the recipe here:http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pastitsio-recipe/index.html

Lesson learned: plan ahead! We started at 7:30 and finally sat down to enjoy the sumptuous casserole at 9:30 after two hours making both the sauces, cooking the meat, and baking the dish in the oven. Well worth the wait! Paired with red wine and a light salad, this savory meal is one to be enjoyed by many! Literally. It serves eight very hearty eaters. Complete the meal with a light but sweet treat (we choose an apple tart), and you’ve not only got a meal, but a great memory to have of the process…at least in our case! Bon appetit!

For me, Tuesdays now represent an important part of who I want to be, a learner. I want to be a curious, adventurous person, up for a new challenge, a new lesson, or even just a new chicken dish. No matter the lesson, no matter the subject matter, I never want to stop learning, never want to stop growing. So bring on Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. Awww becca thanks for the shout-out!! Your cookbook is bound and waiting for you! I'll bring it on Tuesday for lesson #2! Love you!

    ReplyDelete