Monday, March 21, 2011

Little Moments



Though I have been engaged for nearly a year (April 4th will mark our one-year engagement anniversary), and have held the Bride-to-Be status excitedly, I have never blogged about this upcoming, momentous occasion. This is a chaotic yet wonderful time of life full of appointments, fittings, decisions, to do lists and, of course, the melding together of two lives.


Thankfully, I have a Saint for a Mom who has been my organized, encouraging, event-planning guru. Without her I would be lost in a sea of everything from tulle to boutonnieres. I enjoy the process, don't get me wrong, but when I dream about my wedding (which I have been for the last 20 years!), it's about the look in the eyes of my Groom as I walk down the aisle. It's about the moment my Dad twirls me around the dance floor, and having my sister stand by my side. It's about my Mom helping me into my dress, and my brothers there to celebrate with me. It's about toasting all the people who have made me who I am--and loved me through the years--being there to witness the promise of a lifetime being made.


My wedding, to me, is about a thousand little moments all tied in to one unforgettable day. The moment I wake up and realize this is the day I have waited my whole life for. The moment I slip in to my dress; walk in to the chapel; see Brian for the first time; saying my vows and hearing them from him; being surrounded by the soft fragrance of lovely flowers; seeing our four parents as we are pronounced for the first time; greeting my guests, our families and friends; dancing the night away; and stealing away with my man.


In the end, I will be able to say that this day will be how I choose it to be. It will have the flowers I picked, the music we love, the food I deem delicious, and the dress I feel like a princess in. But more importantly, it will be full of laughter and love with the most important people in Brian and my life. It will be in honor of our parents, and their marriages, as well as our grandparents and their decades upon decades of wedded bliss.


It is my hope and prayer that the focus of the day is on the celebration of marriage, and the families that have prepared us for this, the greatest adventure in life. All the planning and preparation in the world will not prepare me for what I will feel that day. For the love and gratitude for my parents and family. For the love and commitment I feel for Brian, my husband-to-be, and my new family. For the thankfulness to God for the blessing that is this day, and all that it represents, and all that He has in store for Brian and my new life together.


Yes, this day will be momentous….in all the little moments added together. And I cannot wait to cherish every one.



No comments:

Post a Comment